El Caminito del Rey is an aerial path built on the walls of the Desfiladero de los Gaitanes, which extends through the municipalities of Ardales, Antequera and El Chorro, all belonging to the province of Malaga.
It was built by the Chorro Hydroelectric Society, between 1901 and 1905, in order to create access between the “waterfalls” and thus facilitate the passage of maintenance operators and the transport of materials.
His name appeared in 1921 when King Alfonso XIII crossed the road to reach the Guadalhorce-Guadalteba Reservoirs on the day of their inauguration. Since then, people began to call him the Caminito del Rey, a name he maintains almost a century later.
Over the years, the Caminito del Rey was abandoned, becoming, due to its danger, a place of worship for climbers and adventurers.
After several fatal accidents in 1999 and 2000, the Junta de Andalucía decided to close the accesses to Caminito del Rey. It was not until 2014 when they decided to carry out their restoration which culminated in its reopening in 2015, later becoming one of the most requested international tourist destinations.